Wednesday 17 March 2010

"I capture the castle" by Dodie Smith

For my first ever review, on my first ever blog, I thought I would start by telling you about my Favourite book: Ever heard of '101 dalmations?' No, don't get too excited! I'm talking about Dodie Smith, author of the disney classic and novel 'I capture the castle'.

Avoiding the cliched "a coming of age tale", I must tell you that the story revolves around the Mortmain family, and their struggle to live in a dilapidated castle in the middle of Suffolk. Rose and Cassandra must contend with an eccentric father suffering from severe writers block, and two handsome Americans, moving in next door, as well as a step mum who likes to dance around naked at full moons! I've never read a book with such eloquent prose, nor felt such a connection with the characters. "I write this, sitting in the kitchen sink..."

Strongly recommended!